Thursday, January 15, 2015

The Lady's Letter-Writer: Letter XXII

Letter XXII
Confessing a Change of Feeling

New York, June 4, 18--

My Dear Sir:-- I fear my avowal may give you some pain; but it is better to be sincere and open in matters where the happiness of another is concerned.

To speak plainly, then, I feel that my sentiments in regard to yourself are no longer what they were.  While my esteem for your character remains unshaken, I still cannot blind myself to the fact that I do not cherish that affection which a wife ought to feel for her husband, and without which the married life is one continual scene of torment and vexation.  You will not, I am sure, give me credit for acting from mere fickleness -- especially as I do not at present entertain a partiality for any other; -- but you must pardon me when I express my firm belief that all correspondence between us had better cease, and that such letters as have passed between us should be returned at the first convenient opportunity.

Assuring you, that as a friend I shall constantly remember you with esteem, 

                                             I remain, my dear sir, 

                                                            Your's very faithfully,

                                                              ....... ........

To: ....., Esq.



No comments:

Post a Comment