Monday, July 6, 2020

suh'm interesting

Found paperwork from Union Bank of Mahanoy City, PA.

The heart of the Pennsylvania coal country.

Here's a card from the bank:


A letter from Eli S. Reinhold, dated March 31, 1897, mentioning 'the very great business depression here in the Coal region. '

The bank lasted until at least 1954.  I can't find anything on the net from later than that.

Something even MORE interesting: That 'Chas. D. Kaier', who's listed as the vice president of the bank, is also probably the Chas. D. Kaier who owned the Charles D. Kaier Company, which was a brewery based in Mahanoy City.  And if you're a follower of this blog, than you'll recall that my most recent post featuring my most recent addition to my collection of advertising ashtrays was one from that brewery.  

A neat bit of Schuylkill County history and/or Mahanoy City history.

I've mentioned here before that at one point, I was looking to move there, mainly because real estate is way cheaper in that area than it was back in the City of Bothersome Love.  
It didn't happen, and for that I am VERY grateful, since I now live downashore.

No comments:

Post a Comment