Friday, November 25, 2022

Latest additions to my advertising ashtray collection

 I oughta count how many I have now.  The total should be at least forty.

Anyway, here's the latest, all from New Jersey:

Coach House Restaurant, Bellmawr, NJ

Bellmawr is usually pronounced 'Belmar.'  And guess what, there is a Belmar, NJ.

Something even more confusing.  There's a Morristown, NJ.  There's also a Moorestown, NJ, which most people pronounce 'Morristown.'  And there's a Mauricetown, NJ, which the locals pronounce 'Morristown.'

That last one is not far from where I live, and I was sure it was pronounced 'Moreecetown, especially since the river it's on I've always heard pronounced as the Maurice (Moreece) River.'  

Mauricetown is really worth a look.  The main part of town dates to the early 1800s, and even today, looks basically untouched.

======================================================================

The original name of this place was Jim and Helen's Mickey Mouse Bar & Grill.  Some time in the early 1970s Disney went after them (really? Some little place in the middle of nowhere was on their radar???), and the name was changed to Jim and Helen's Mouse Bar & Grill.

I've always had this repulsion for Disney.  Even as a little kid, although I couldn't articulate it, I felt I was being pandered to by this greedy ugly phony company.   

======================================================================

First Federal Savings of Hammonton, Woodbury, Mantua, and Manahawkin

I looked this up and found seemingly dozens of mergers and sales.

No comments:

Post a Comment