Tuesday, April 4, 2023

The Star Made Me Buy It

Today's star is the great Tony Bennett, in a 1966 ad for Singer Sewing Machines...


Back in the day, Singer would host these specials, featuring a bunch of well-known names.  This one was very music-intensive, since it also included Buddy Rich, Milt Jackson, somebody named 'Candido,' the Paul Horn Quartet, and for fits and giggles the very not entertaining (in my opinion) Buddy Hackett.

The only one of these specials I remember had Dawn Wells in the cast.

As a five-year old, I was in love with Dawn Wells. or rather, Mary Ann, the role she played on Gilligan's Island.  I wanted a sister just like her.  

Having three brothers was really wearing on me. 

Around that time an acquaintance of my mother's was stopping over for lunch, bringing with her a daughter around my age, named Mary Ann.

This thrilled me no end.

Until they arrived.  And it turned out that this Mary Ann was nothing like my Mary Ann, in any way, shape, or form.  

I was terribly disappointed. 

I wonder - often - why Dawn Wells didn't go onward and upward after Gilligan's Island.  She received more fan mail than anybody on the cast, and she was super cute and appealing, and you'd think she would have starred in a sitcom of her own, so great was her fan base.  

Strange. 

No comments:

Post a Comment