Thursday, March 9, 2023

The Star Made Me Buy It

Today's star is the lovely Veda Ann Borg for French's Bird Seed.

She has a zillion credits on IMBD, but the only ones I've seen are It's Love I'm After, and Mildred Pierce.

Every time I see these French's Bird Seed ads in old magazines, I think about this bird store that used to exist off of 5th St, in the Olney nabe of Philly.  In the early 1990s, I worked not far from 5th street, and every once in awhile I would take a trip to 5th St on my lunch hour.

Back in the day, this had been a lovely neighborhood, rather German-intensive, but by the early 1990s, it was slowly sliding into slum status.  But at late as the early 1990s there was still a German bookstore, and a German record store.  

Today, it basically has the slum trifecta: nail salons, day care centers, Chinese takeout.  

No comments:

Post a Comment