Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Tickets, please

Today, two tickets, same movie...

                                                 The first time I saw Rain Man

 

                                              The second time I saw Rain Man
 

I don't actually remember seeing this twice.  What really surprises me is that it was at the Orleans for more than two months.

Lotsa movies I saw more than once, in the theatre, i.e. not on TV.

Breaking Away - 3 times 

Sixteen Candles - 3 times 

The Elephant Man - 5 times. And yes, I cried every time.  

I also have a vague memory of my younger brother and I trudging through ten city blocks, and mountains of snow to see Raiders of the Lost Ark at the Devon (6325 Frankford Avenue, Phila, PA), every evening for a week, because school was closed due to the heavy snow, and we were desperate to get out of the house.  The Devon was, at the time, a third run theatre, where you could see recent-ish movies for a buck.  

I'm guessing it began life as a normal movie theatre, but my first memories of it was as a theatre that had X-rated movies only.  Which in retrospect is kinda shocking because this was a very good neighborhood at the time.  (Unlike today, ugh.)  Then it became a normal theatre where you could see movies for a buck.  That lasted ten years, maybe. Maybe less, I'm not sure.  Then it became a live theatre, but that didn't last long.  The nabe is made up of people whose interest in live performance is limited to professional football, ice hockey, and baseball.  

They even tried with Do Patent Leather Shoes Really Reflect Up, hoping to attract the gazillions of Catholics in the nabe, and even that didn't fly.

Today, the building is a church.


No comments:

Post a Comment