Tuesday, August 16, 2016

WordPerfect is wayyyyyyyyyyy better than MSWord

I've been fighting this battle forever.  

WordPerfect, which from now on we'll call WP, is sooo easy to use, so intuitive, and has some bo useful features that MSWord, which from now on we will refer to as FreakingWord, lacks.  

Here's just a minor example:

This is what you see when you open WP:


It's nice and clean and easy on the eyes, no?

And here's FreakingWord, which was on my computer when I bought it.  (They must have to include it with new computers because no one with a brain in their head would buy it otherwise.)


Within 15 minutes of my using it, the overly busy-ness of it gives me a headache.

Another example:

If I want to check line spacing on WP, it takes two clicks.

TWO.

If I want to check line spacing on FreakingWord?  

It takes THREE

Another, super-important example:

Something formatting in a weird way?  On WP, you can click on 'View' and in the drop-down menu 'Reveal Codes,' and then you can see what's what, and then fix it.

Something formatting in a weird way on FreakingWord?  Too bad.  You're out of luck.  Start over or start madly hitting icons.  Surely you have the time, right?

And what about compatibility?

We'll, the version of WP I use I bought when this guy was president.
That was years before the computer I'm typing on was even a glimmer on Mr. ThinkPad's eye.  

Had I bought FreakingWord then, I wouldn't be able to use it on this machine.  No how, no way.  

Peeps, know this: The product with the largest marketing budget is almost never the best product in its category.

For example,

I used to work for an architect, and his office used something called 'DesignCAD.'  My boss, Mr. Architect, was into computers as early as the 1960s, and he knew what was what.  

Then came AutoCad, which was the architectural/design industry's version of FreakingWord, i.e. they had a massive ad budget.  That was their main selling point.

Today, you can buy Mr. Architect-approved DesignCAD, which will do everything you need it to do, for the FULL price of $99.

OR

You can buy heavily-advertised AutoCAD for either $210 a month OR $1600+ per year, on a subscription basis.   

I can cite many more examples, but my time is valuable.  Part of the reason I'm still using WP.

No comments:

Post a Comment