Wednesday, October 7, 2026

New additions to my advertising ashtrays collection

Today we have SIX.

I saw four on Etsy, and when I bought them, the lovely vendor gave me two more gratis.

Wanna see?

                   KNAK was a radio station in Salt Lake City, UT back in the day. 

According to the 'net, it was the number on teen rock 'n roll station in the 1960s.  At some point the call letters moved elsewhere, but still, I'm pretty sure, remained in the Salt Lake City area.

======================================================================

                                                                         Mr. Ed's

There's a Mr. Ed's Restaurant group based in New Orleans, with seven restaurants, five of which have some version of the name Mr. Ed, but since it was founded in 1989, I'm guessing this might be from an earlier Mr. Ed place.

Or not, because the smoke-free ordinance in New Orleans went into effect in 2015, i.e. 26 years after the place(s) was founded.  

======================================================================

                                                                Mr. Steak
 

 "America's Favorite FAMILY restaurant."

 Founded in 1962, and by the 1970s had 300 locations in 36 states.and Canada.

Done by the late 1980s when the parent company declared bankruptcy, after having diversified the menu, adding poultry, fish, and greens, which I guess alienated the steak-loving crowd..  The last Mr. Steak closed in St, Charles, MO in 2009.

Among the fun happenings in America's Favorite FAMILY Restaurant, kids were given paper cow masks.   

=======================================================================

                                                        Scott Shady Court

Still in business!

And offering "EXTENDED STAY options for drillers, mine workers and other contract laborers."

====================================================================

                                                         YMCA Hotel, Chicago
 
Opened in 1916, and closed as a hotel in 1979, when it was turned into residential apartments. 

True fact: US YMCA headquarters is in Chicago.

======================================================================

                                                        Frontier Motel
 

 Still in business!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment