Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Sunday's finds

Hubs and I went to the beach this past Sunday.  3/4 of the way there we came upon a yard sale.  Half off everything.  It turned out not to be a yard sale yard sale, it was actually the front yard of an old OLD antique store, so after looking at the stuff outside, we were welcomed inside, to find...

This adorable little Made in Italy glass bird.



Tell those kids to get off my lawn!

 
 So I says to Elsie, I says...

And I got an addition to my ashtray collection.

Cahill's TV Service

And I got a rare and charming black toby mug.

Another five or six miles down the road, we came into Captain Scraps Attic (that turns out to be the name of the place with the nutso lamp and the neato weeds from my April 28 post.)

Here's what I got there:

A sorta nutty-looking Occupied Japan shaker in what I think is the form of a veterinarian.
 Don't you chase cars anymore... OR ELSE!!

The face above reminds me a lot of the (creepy.  Really creepy) kid's face in this:
The Child's Problem by Richard Dadd.

 The painting below was sitting on an easel with no price tag on it.  We summoned the manager, who told us the painting was only there to complement the easel it was on.  Then she gave us a very reasonable price on it, and my first thought was 'Ooh,this is gonna sell at our next Tony market' *
The back of this is marked 'Scene at Elfreths Alley.'  
Elfreths Alley is in the Old City section of the City of Bothersome Love, and is famous as America's oldest residential street.

What I call 'Tony markets' are these flea markets here:  http://www.philafleamarkets.org/

They're run by a guy named Tony.

No comments:

Post a Comment