Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Cat Day

Cat Day was exactly a week ago.

It started out like this:

On Wednesdays I volunteer at the Animal Welfare Society's thrift store, which is on Route 47 in Dias Creek.  Now and then I see something I want to buy, but that's rare.

However, on Cat Day, this was what was in the store:
a Shawnee Puss 'n Boots cookie jar.
MINT condition.  

The price was low low low, and so I bought it.

After I closed up for the day - the store is open from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Wednesday to Sunday (in case you ever want to visit) - I went to the Shop Rite in Rio* to pick up some whatever.  At the time I was wearing this:
The clerk at the register got all excited, and went on about how much she loves cats.  So did the guy in front of me, who said he has two indoor cats, and four outdoor cats, and was all broken up that 'his baby' - a rough customer with one eye and only a few teeth - had recently been hit by a car.

From there I stopped at the Pet Valu in Court House** to get some iforgetwhat.  They're doing some kind of fundraiser for the local shelters.

'You can donate either for dogs or cats,' the clerk told me.

I said I would donate for cats.

He gave me a big smile, and told me that hardly ever does anybody donate for the cats.  He's a cat lover with six cats.  His wife had at one time -- I guess before she was his wife -- eleven cats.

That's a lotta cats.

So that was Cat Day.

*Rio is actually Rio Grande.  Everybody around here calls it Rio.

** Court House is what everybody calls Cape May Court House.  Cape May Court House is  the county seat, it's not a court house.  Although there IS a court house in Court House.

No comments:

Post a Comment