Friday, September 7, 2018

Stuff I'm interested in

I'm all kinds of interested - and always have been - with sub-cultures.

The Amish, motorheads, nuns, book club ladies, gay male antiques dealers, the British Royal Family, Hasidics, and on and on.  I am also super-interested in cemeteries.

Today, amma show you a photo I saved from a New York Times (I think it was the NYT) from a few years ago.   It came with a tragic story of a Hasidic couple getting killed in a taxi accident.  The photo was from their wedding.


That wild thing on his head is a shtreimel, from the fur approximately 30 dead animals.  Shtreimels cost from a grand up to $5000 or so.  The coat he's wearing is not the one you usually see Hasidic men wearing, but I have been unsuccessful in finding out what it's called.

The very pretty bride's gown is pretty typical for a Hasidic wedding, since Haredi (synonym for Hasidic) women are forbidden to show much skin.  If her particular community was REALLY hardcore, the day after her wedding, her head would have been completely shaved, and a wig plopped on it.  

Interesting, no?

Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment