Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Goodwill is GREEDY



Yes.

True.

I occasionally buy things for my biz (Zazzle biz) on ShopGoodwill.com.

Mostly ephemera and old books and magazines and like that.

Many Goodwill stores (each store that puts items on ShopGoodwill has its own policies) will grossly overestimate the shipping charge.  

They want money, they need money.

I get that.

But there's a limit.



For example, I was interested in bidding on a circa 1918 magazine sold by a Goodwill store in North Carolina.

The handling fee - i.e. the fee to get an envelope and put the magazine in the envelope - is $3.00.  I don't mind paying a buck, or even two bucks, but $3 is simply unacceptable.

And the 'Shipping Weight' is 2 pounds, while the 'Actual Weight' is 1 pound.

Therefore, it's going to cost over ELEVEN DOLLARS to ship a magazine from North Carolina to my house in NJ.

Goodwill is a charity, but a) everything they sell is donated, and b) charging $11+ when $8.00 would be reasonable - for a charity -- is just plain taking advantage.

Plus, they're actually shooting themselves in the foot.  

For every bracelet for which the shipping charge is $8.00 (for a bracelet!) and every book for which the shipping charge is $10 -- when USPS Media Mail would be no more than $3 - they lose out on bids that they would get if they would forgo having their shipping charges double as a profit center.  

As my husband would say, this burns my pickle.

No comments:

Post a Comment