Friday, March 1, 2013

A new addition to the furmily

Two Wednesdays ago, I went to the Ash Wednesday noon service at this Methodist Church I used to work at.*

I parked outside the church, and the moment I exited the car, I was approached by a woman all in a tizzy about a little kitten who was in the church yard, crying his little heart out.  

I climbed the fence, and retrieved him, then put him into a box in my car, then went into the service.  (The car was really warm.  This time of year, I drive with the heat turned up to the high heavens.)  When I came out from the service, he was still in the box.

We drove home, and he was SOOO good.  Just chilled in the box the whole time.  

He was in lockdown for a few days before I introduced him to the rest of the gang, and when he finally came out, I took his picture.

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, I give you Lester.

'Jeez, lady,' you say.  'How many cats is that??  We've already seen FOUR of your cats on this blog.'

Well, see, I had two pass away last year.  And one the year before that.  Two were old and full of years, one wasn't (Jersey Joe) but he lived a whole lot longer than any of us would have expected, given his health challenges.  

Here's Lester and a sleeping Starlin.

Therefore we're holding at five -- and note that I've never had more than six at a time ------ which is a lot fewer than a lot of folks I know who are involved in animal welfare stuff have.

So there.

*The church is Frankford Memorial United Methodist, located at 1300 Dyre Street in the Frankford section of Philadelphia.  It's a very beautiful church, and you should visit it if you're ever in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment