Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Old Vic

I bought this a couple weeks ago at the Sal (i.e. Salvation Army) and spent way more than I usually do.  When I got it home I looked at the bottom and the marks didn't look "old" to me.

I mean, duh.  Forget the marks, the design is screamingly late Victorian.  But the misery center in my brain had engaged and was telling me that I had wasted good money that I could have used to put gas in my car on a mid-20th century repro.  Which, objectively, is completely ridiculous.  No way in Hades is this a repro.  But my misery center... 

Anyway, this was rolling around my living room rug for the last two weeks while I agonized what to do with it.  Then what happens today is that I get a Kovels Komments* email, which includes a photo of a nearly IDENTICAL item, and a letter from a lady asking about its history and worth. 

Turns out it's from 1898 or earlier, and they claim these sell for about $250. 

Danged misery center. 

*Mr. and Mrs. Kovel publish books on antiques, mainly related to values.  The books ARE good for identifying antiques, like my pitcher, but the prices they quote do not reflect reality in any way, shape or form.  I've been doing this for 18 years.  I should know. 

Anyway, I would encourage you to sign up for their email list because some of the emails are pretty interesting.  Just ignore the prices. 

No comments:

Post a Comment