Tuesday, December 26, 2017

The Tuesday Song of the Week

I hate Christmas.

There.  I said it.

And even though there are a handful of Christmas songs/carols that don't raise my hackles, nor make me want to poke knitting needles through my ear drums, I just wasn't in the mood.

However, I was in the mood for some traditional Christmas-related instrumental, but I couldn't find what I wanted.

A hundred years ago, I had a Christmas job at Strawbridges (google 'em), and one of the things on the Muzak was this ayMAZING version of something from Babes in Toyland.  But it ain't on YouTube.

Then I tried to find a version of Trepak, which is the best part of The Nutcracker, musically speaking.  (Know this: I hate ballet a hundred times more than I hate Christmas).  But I couldn't find a version with the requisite oomph.  I have one like that on my computer, but a) YouTube don't got it, and b) I don't know how to upload nothing to YouTube.

So, you're getting the best version I could find* of a instrumental that has zip to do with Christmas, but which I like.

12th Street Rag - Harmonie Des Harnes

*The best version I ever heard of this was by some local orchestra performing at the Cape May Band Shell.  It was NUTS.  (But, alas, not on YouTube.)

The more crazily and chaotically '12th Street Rag' is played, the better it sounds.


No comments:

Post a Comment