Thursday, August 27, 2015

The Lady's Letter-Writer: Letter XXVI

 Letter XXVI
Another, to a Proposal of immediate Marriage

Williamsburg, June 2, 18--

Dear .....: I am, I can assure you, quite as anxious for our union as you can be, but I feel that prudence is necessary.  We are both young, myself especially, and it is of no use for us to rush into a state of life which we would not have the means of supporting.  Should you be so fortunate as to obtain the situation of which Mr. ...... has held out hopes, we shall be able to marry without fear, as I can always earn something (state employment) , and hope to be as industrious as a wife ought to be.  Do not think that it is any coldness that makes me object to our immediate happiness; it is only prudence that makes me wish to spare ourselves the risk of that poverty, which too often leads to dissipation and misery on both sides.  We have seen so many sad examples, that I am sure you will take in good part these words from

                                                                         Your faithful,

                                                                                    ... ........

To:  ..... ......

No comments:

Post a Comment