Tuesday, February 28, 2012

man a' la mancha

in hand-carved wood from Spain form!
I have two Don Quixote-related memories.  First, when I was 10 or so (and an early brunette version of Lisa Simpson), I read an English translation of the book.  Geekily brainy I may have been, but my brainy geekiness did not extend to stuff like pronouncing foreign names properly.  I thought Quixote was pronounced 'Qwix-tote.'

 My second memory... well, first let me set up the clip.  Back in the day, you used to see commercials for the latest musical coming to town, and the commercials would feature snippets of the songs.    When I was about 14, commercials for Man of La Mancha starring Richard Kiley were being run, and included the song snippets.  My little friends and I used to sing the snippets, one after the other, just like in the commercials, and crack one another up. 

Good times.  

No comments:

Post a Comment