Tuesday, November 12, 2013

the Tuesday Song of the Week

A very dreamy, sinuous song (if a song can be considered sinuous) by Stefan Remmler.  You may know him from the 'Da da da' thing that was used some years ago to sell Volkswagens.


Vogel der Nacht

'Vogel der Nacht' translates to 'Bird of Night.'  The theme of the song is exactly the same as the American songbook standards 'Skylark,' 'Flamingo,' and 'Melodie d'Amour,' i.e.  'Hey, bird, go looking for somebody for me and/or go tell my honey I love her.'

I studied German in school because I thought it would be easy, being as it's so close to English (Also because French seemed like it would be really hard, and Spanish didn't appeal because it sounds to me like baby talk at 78 rpm.) 

Because a) my high school teacher, Herr Kraus made a big deal about proper pronunciation and b) I have a decent ear for dialect, later teachers assumed that I had grown up in a German-speaking household or studied German in Germany.  Some years ago I booked an industrial shoot because they needed somebody who could speak English with an authentic German accent.  Easiest $2000 I ever made. 

Here's my (somewhat loose) translation of the song for your interest and edification:

Bird of night, fly out to the moon.  
From there, scope out my beloved is now living.
Fly to her, tell her I'm alone.
Bird of night, she must forgive me.

Sing her my pain
(the next line I can't quite make out)
Bird of night, sing of love and pain.

Bird of night, fly out to the moon.  
From there, scope out my beloved is now living.
Sing to me never (I'm not sure I heard this right)
Bring her back to me.
Bird of night, sing of love and happiness

No word is as true as my wishes,
No letter can say what I feel.
Your song should be like my love
Bird of night, you know what I want.
Bird of night, you know what I want.

Bird of night, fly out to the moon.  
From there, scope out my beloved is now living.
Sing to me never (again, not sure I heard this right)
Bring her back to me.
Bird of night, sing of love and happiness

Sing of love and happiness
Sing of love and happiness
Sing of love and happiness
Sing of love and happiness

No comments:

Post a Comment